Tuesday, March 9, 2010

champ de MARS

March already? Well, it has still been pretty cold here but we are hopeful and have had a few really nice days... come on 50 degrees!!



L’As du Falafel ... 34 rue des Rosiers, 4th arrondissement ... Métro Saint Paul

The Marais area of Paris (literally translating to “swamp”) in the 4th arrondissement is a very unique and interesting part of Paris. Home to many Jewish synagogues, restaurants and shops, it is a very lively and fun place to go especially on Sundays when the rest of Paris has closed down. My favorite and most frequented place to go is L’As du Falafel, a falafel restaurant that boasts being the best in the world. I always order the falafel sandwich for 5 euros, which is made in a pita and comes overflowing with falafel, roasted eggplant, cabbage, carrots, and the best creamy and spicy sauces. It is a highlight to every week (because I seem to go at least that often!) and a definite must-do in Paris.


Silk & Spice ... 6 rue Mandar, 2nd arrondissement ... Métro Étienne Marcel

This past Saturday night Andrew and I met up with his friend from school Zvi and another friend Skylar. Skylar chose the restaurant Silk & Spice, a great Thai restaurant with a full menu of traditional Thai entrées and plats and a few not-so-traditional desserts. I had a great papaya and cabbage salad, shrimp Pad Thai, and a chocolate cake. The food was fantastic and the restaurant so chic. We stayed for over two hours finishing our courses and visiting. I would definitely go back (as soon as I can afford it!).


Pinacothèque de Paris ... 28 Place de la Madeleine, 8th arrondissement ... Métro Madeleine

The first Sunday of every month most museums offer free entrance. I wanted to take advantage of this, so on Sunday Andrew, Emily, Sean and I went to Pinacothèque de Paris in Place de la Madeleine to see the Edvard Munch exhibit. I have liked Munch since I saw his Girls on a Bridge many years ago, so I was really excited to see more of his work. We got there and waited for about 20 minutes in line in the freezing wind only to find out that it wasn’t free! Many smaller private museums do not offer the free entrance I guess, but after waiting in line we decided to pay the 8 euros anyways.

The exhibit was really a great representation of Munch's earlier and lesser known works. I didn't realize that he did so many lithography and engraving pieces! Some of my favorites in the collection were from the Madonna series:


Conversation Exchange

I finally have started something called “conversation exchange” with une française. The idea is that we meet every week at a café for an hour or so to speak half the time in English and half in French. This way we both can improve our language skills and get help from a native speaker. I met yesterday morning with Marion, a 28-year-old French woman. She is very sweet and is very interested in learning English and patient with my French speaking abilities. I was a little nervous before I went because I wasn’t sure if it would be awkward, but it turned out to be a great time just to get to know her and practice French without thinking about it. This will be a great way to have more exposure to and practice with speaking, not to mention perhaps making a good friend while trying out new cafés.


In other news, Andrew and I made great sandwiches this week: sautéed peppers, chicken, parmesan cheese and arugula... mmm!

Also, Emily made THE BEST Sprinkles-from-the-can red velvet cupcakes tonight. They even came with the signature decorations! I have the best roommates (who like to constantly tempt me with sweets!)!


À bientôt!

1 comment: