Friday, October 2, 2009

good news

This past week, we found an apartment to rent and I had my first day of school!

We didn't end up getting the apartment that I spoke of last time. Long story short, it turns out that the landlord and his family were waiting to hear back about construction that is being done on their other apartment that they will be moving to. They found out that it will take longer than they thought, so the apartment we wanted won't be ready until the end of October. We were pretty bummed, but we just can't wait another month to feel settled.

So, back to square one. We looked at a few other apartments and called about a lot of places, and were getting pretty discouraged that nothing was working out. Luckily, though, we found a place right by the Eiffel Tower, near both Emily and Kara's schools and really close to the train station that takes me to my school outside of the city. The apartment is actually loft style, meaning it is all one big space with no separated bedrooms. There are good and bad things about this, bad being that there isn't much privacy. However, the apartment is really big and there is plenty of room for us all to have beds along with an area that acts as an open living room, a desk area, dining table, and great kitchen. The bathroom is separate of course! It is a really charming, clean and Parisian apartment and since it is so open it feels even bigger than it is, something the other apartments we have looked at don't have. I can post pictures once we move in and get settled... everything will be finalized Tuesday!

Yesterday I had my first day at school! I work for France's Department of Education through a program that hires foreign graduates to come teach in language classes in French schools. There are people from Germany, Spain, UK, Canada, etc. who come to be Language Assistants here. I have been assigned to work in a lycee (or the equivalent to an American high school). The lycee I have been assigned is in Villepreux, which is about 30 min southwest of Paris by train. I have a supervising teacher who is in charge of the English department, but I have freedom to teach lessons myself with groups of about 10 students from the different English classes at a time. They basically just want me to speak English with the students and help them feel more comfortable speaking the language in topics they care about with someone who is closer in age to them. Also, I only work 12 hours a week (usually spread over 3 days)! My supervising teacher, Catherine, is so wonderful! She has been really helpful and has really made me feel welcome. I went to a few of her classes and she introduced me to her students, and they all seemed really interested in me being there. I told them I am from California and they brightened up... EVERYONE here dreams about California, no joke. I can tell I will learn a lot of French because obviously everyone in the lycee does, but especially at lunch time when I will eat with the other teachers... yesterday they were so nice and tried to include me in their conversations. The stereotypes you have heard about the French being rude or exclusive are lies.

Basically, I love it here! Once we move in to our new place and feel more settled, I might get another job--maybe just babysitting here or there to save money. I will still have so much free time though... which means I can finally begin to relax and experience Paris all over again.

I am truly blessed.

2 comments:

  1. you must start adding pics to the blog ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. man that sounds really great jenna. im envious of these 12 hour work weeks of yours. come take a few of my hours, please?
    let's hear it for getting out of the shmu-s-a!
    (just kidding, i love america. sometimes)
    john

    ReplyDelete